Tuesday, September 27, 2016

A Day in Volendam

We headed to Volendam in the morning - a place I hadn't been before. It's very small, but that was good as Nikki wanted to check in for her flight home in plenty of time. Anne drove us to Volendam as we still had the rental car, So Mum, Reid, Nikki and I got a map from the tourist centre, and a walking tour information booklet and set off. 

We were told that the town developed in the 1400s, and to look at the facades of the buildings, as well as the curtains of the houses, as people of Volendam like nice things.  The curtains certainly were lovely!


The canal was a lovely green colour from the oxygen weed which the ducks waded through!




Some of the houses had lovely gardens in front...


And then we found the main street, full of cafes and outside seating...


I found my boat...


Birding with my cellphone camear again - had left the big lens at the apartment as I'm sturggling with a sore back! The Dutch Seagull...


The harbour was lovely.  I thought it was the north sea, but no, it's a fresh water lake that goes for iles and miles.



We got some Poffertjes - 8 of them, 4 with whipped cream, 4 with chocolate. Enough for two each!

 

This is what some of them looked like...


I found a dutch man and gave him a kiss.  I was met with stony silence...


I gave up any romantic notion and headed down the main street for some retail therapy intsead...

And I found a beach! My first in the Netherlands! I put my big toe in the water and it was..... FREEZING! Give me southern Italy's waters any day!




Houses line the coast - very pretty!

I caught Reid getting up close and personal with a lovely dutch lady...



Looks like the friendship is over! My mother won't share!


Whew - they made up!



We then stopped for lunch. Generous sized portions and lovely food. We all had a wine with lunch as well seeing we're on holiday!

Then we walked back to the main square and caught the bus and tram back to Anne's apartment. Another example of the beautiful gardens in Volendam...


On the way back to Anne's apartment by the canal, was a Blue Heron. Birding with my cellphone again!

 Then Nikki packed up and Anne and I saw her off at the aiport. Here is us saying goodbye in the kiss and goodbye zone under the sign!


 Mum and Reid leave tomorrow - and I've now started my second part of the trip :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like you are all getting on well. Enjoy the last of your adventure.