Friday, September 30, 2011

Oh - Hello Auckand! I have missed you....

In Auckland at the moment, before I fly out to meet up with my Daughter in Amsterdam.  I've only been away 18 months and already I've noticed lots of changes.  Especially down in the Wynyard Quarter and the Viaduct.

Also - simply the buzz and sheer number of tourists out here for the Rugby World Cup!

My friend Jill picked me up early this morning to go for a jaunt around this area, and naturally I took my camera  It was slightly cold, so after parking the car and walking just down the road, we found this lovely cafe...


After a nice hot cuppa, we wandered down to the end just as this lovely big boat was leaving the harbour. My 50th is coming up, if anyone wants to know what to get me for my birthday - this boat would do nicely! Don't all rush out at once though!


Old and new - the old Kestrel ferry that used to run between Devonport and Auckland city, and a nice brand new superboat. This could be another option for my 50th!!


The walkway (triple tier and we were on the top) to take as back to the promenade. Gives you a nice view.


Oh look - The Sky Tower. How could I miss it? Tonight it's lit up in Blue and Green.


A group of tourists all here for the world cup congregate on the green next to the steel sculpture...


Here's the sculpture again. It has the magical ability to push the clouds to one side of the sky.. Seeing is believing...


Here's Jill posing for the camera. She's lying on a hill which is covered in false plastic grass which is extremely slippery. It took about 3-4 goes to get this image as she kept sliding out of view, rather quickly. I actually think she quite enjoyed the photoshoot, as she always came back up laughing!


Look at us - model material! Skinny legs and all. How I love reflection in metal that make us look like Twiggy!


There were many restaurants/wine bars all along here. One had a groovy looking piano that was there for anyone wanting a tinkle. I was no exception, so Jill took over the camera....


Brightly coloured seats were available to sit on/stand on/take photographs of (pick one)...


And beautiful metal sculptures of a ship theme all the way down the promenade...


ATM kiwi style - in a shipping container....


Even a information booth/internet cafe in containers...


Sun lounger - Auckland City Sytle.... (I wouldn't mind a few of these for home!)


The tidal steps - with Auckland city in the background - at the Viaduct.


The new events centre in the city. What was really nice about this is the deck that wraps completely around the building, of which is open to the public to walk around at any time, giving beautiful views of Auckland Harbour..


The new bridge/walkway connecting Viaduct Harbour with Wynyard Quarter...


All the Rugby World Cup tourists enjoying the sunny day down at the Viaduct/Wynyard quarter. Why does everyone wear black?


The Pride of Auckland. So beautiful with it reflected in the harbour...


The giant rugby ball. Party Central....


And the queues lining up wanting to get into/onto this wharf - into the rugby and in further to the Cloud on the wharf. I just took a quick photo but didn't stay around to try and get in...


And finally one of the many houses in Auckland all done up for the Rugby World Cup! Quite fun to come across them - some of the streets seem to be competing with each other!!! This was the best I saw today!


It was great seeing Auckland again, and fun to experience it as a tourist!

No comments: